Radiation Oncology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
Employment: Nurse Practitioner
Type: Full Time
Location: Cypress, TX
"You can make a difference in the life of an oncology patient and find your career satisfaction by joining our team of healthcare professionals today."
Featured video 1: Oncology Consultants Registered Nurse Opportunity
About Oncology Consultants
Oncology Consultants has been a premier adult medical oncology & hematology practice in Houston, TX for over 35 years. Our healthcare team is committed to provide state of the art cancer treatment in a caring environment as we continue to expand our oncology services in the metropolitan region.
About the Position
The Radiation Oncology Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant (NP/PA) will work closely with a team of two physicians, medical assistants, and radiation therapists, evaluating Radiation Oncology patients for treatment, contributing to the treatment plan, and managing the care of patients undergoing radiation therapy. The NP/PA will work collaboratively with their physicians to see patients across the continuum. Provision of care may include comprehensive assessment and diagnosis, ordering and interpreting diagnostic tests, prescription of pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic therapies, comprehensive patient education, and psychosocial support of the patient and family experiencing cancer.
The NP/PA promotes and maintains the health of the patient across the health care continuum. Conducts comprehensive health assessments, identifies normal/abnormal health characteristics, develops treatment plans, initiates appropriate care, and continuously evaluates care outcomes according to established standards and practices. Uses judgment to work autonomously or to collaborate with the healthcare team to manage patient care throughout the continuum of care
Physical Requirements: Must be able to sit, stand, lift, or walk for an extended period of time.
- Medical, Vision
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Free Parking
- Competitive Salary
- Promotes and maintains the health of the patient across the health care continuum.
- Conducts comprehensive health assessments, identifies normal/abnormal health characteristics, develops treatment plans, initiates appropriate care, and continuously evaluates care outcomes according to established standards and practices.
- Uses judgment to work autonomously or to collaborate with the healthcare team to manage patient care through out the continuum of care and in a variety of settings.
- Supports and adheres to the Oncology Compliance Program, to include the Code of Ethics and Business Standards
Video 2: Vickie Houff, RN, Oncology Consultants
- Nurse Practitioner: Masters of Science – Nursing
- Successful completion of an approved Acute Care nurse practitioner program.
- Acute Care certification required
• Minimum two years of clinical nursing plus two years of nurse practitioner experience.
• Minimum one year in an oncology department/clinic
• Licensed ANP or FNP.
• Must be currently licensed as a registered nurse. Because of the nature of responsibilities, it is preferable to have experience in counseling and teaching and have a master's degree.
• Knowledge of professional nursing theory, practices and regulations to give and evaluate patient care.
• Knowledge of how to use medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care
• Knowledge of oncology-related medical terminology
• Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish/maintain a safe work environment
• Knowledge of the unique technical and human factors found when working in the specific field of oncology
• Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods and techniques of professional nursing to provide ongoing patient care.
• Skill in taking medical histories to assess medical condition and interpret findings
• Skill in the use of computer software application relevant to job specific tasks
• Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other employees, patients, organizations, and the public
• Perform procedures such as Bone Marrow Biopsies.
• Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations
• Ability to maintain quality control standards
• Ability to communicate clearly with clinic staff, patients and public
• Ability to interpret, adapt and apply clinic guidelines and procedures
• Ability to demonstrate compassion and caring in dealing with patients and families
• Ability to maintain patient confidentiality
Combination of exam rooms and medical offices. Frequent exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, blood-borne pathogens, physical hazards (e.g., needle pricks, etc.), ionizing radiation, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to an oncology clinic environment
Requires, standing, sitting, walking, bending, stooping, twisting. Requires full range of motion, manual dexterity, and eye-hand coordination. Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. May require helping lift/transfer patients. Requires ability to deal with stress from dealing with multiple tasks, irregular hours, tense patients, and unexpected emergencies
This description is intended to describe the essential job functions, the general supplemental functions and the essential requirements for the performance of this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and requirements of a person so classified. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time.
Oncology Consultants is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Medical Center | Memorial City | Sugar Land | Katy | Willowbrook | Southwest Northwest | West Houston
Apply today. Our short application process takes less than 5 minutes with your phone, tablet or computer.